COVID-19 and Structural Changes in Healthcare
In this week’s video from Wall Street Journal below, Why the Health Care Sector May Not Rebound to Its Former Size.
Professor Cutler discusses three major structural areas in U.S. healthcare that have been changed by the COVID-19 pandemic:
1. Increased use of telemedicine
2. Changes to scope of practice rules
3. Payment system reform.
Pick ONE of these three areas above after watching the video link below.
Then discuss the change, by responding to the questions below:
- Briefly explain how and why this area of healthcare has changed during the pandemic crisis.
- What are the benefits of this change, both for providers and for patients?
- Do you think this change is here to stay or that it will be reversed, once the crisis is past? Why?