In Chapter 11 in your textbook, you examined the skills you will need as a human service professional when working with various types of groups. You will engage in interpersonal communication daily. This includes talking with colleagues, responding to clients, and giving directions in group settings. You also examined the skills a human service professional should obtain in order to understand group dynamics and process. The professional needs to understand how various group settings can be useful when working with different work populations. The human service professional utilizes their interpersonal skills daily. These skills include the following:
- Talking with coworkers
- Giving or responding to a compliment
- Making new friends
- Asking for a date
- Communicating via text, instant messaging, or email
- Maintaining, repairing, or ending relationships
- Applying for a job
- Giving directions
As a human service professional, you will find yourself utilizing interpersonal communication skills both nonverbal and verbal. These skills allow you to be effective in forming successful personal and professional relationships.
Please respond to the following:
- How might your interpersonal skills be utilized to obtain valuable interaction in group settings?
- How might your skills as a human service professional establish realistic and clear treatment goals for group members?
- You have read the different stages of groups which include the pregroup stage, initial stage; transition stage, working stage, and final stage do not always provide easy transition. What tasks will you as a human service professional utilize to become an effective group leader?
- What skills and/or strategies will you use for challenging and resistant group members?
Please remember to cite your work using APA format when referencing from the text or outside resources.