Discussion Topic: Non-traditional characters and how they represent the human condition.
For our module discussion, you need to:
- Watch the provided performance of Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. (42:25)
- Spend some time thinking about each of the main characters in the work.
- Create an original discussion, based on the main characters in the play, by addressing the following questions. Be sure to number your answers.
- Is the narrative a triumph or a tragedy?
- Who wins? Who loses? (Is there a winner/loser?)
- How intrinsically linked/different are Dr. Horrible and Billy? Which is the predominant persona? (ie, can one win, while the other loses, or do they both win and lose together?)
- Think about the behaviors of both main characters, Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer, throughout the play: Are these behaviors reflective of who they truly are, or just who they think they are? Does a behavior define somebody’s identity, or is there more to it than that?
- Is who we are perceived as really what makes us good or evil, or is it what we do?
Be sure to use specific examples from the play to support your answers.